An Adelaide family has been left devastated after 14-year-old William Pfeiffer mysteriously died in his sleep.
He went to bed during a sleepover at his grandparent’s house on Saturday night, but “in the morning he just didn’t wake up,” family friend Nicole Baans told 7NEWS.
The healthy, young teen, remembered as a funny, kind and quirky kid, appeared completely healthy, and had no obvious signs of sickness or injury before his mysterious death.
Baans said there were “no warning signs at all.”
“No grandparent should have to find their grandchild like that.”
“No parent should ever have to endure the loss of a child,” she added in a GoFundMe raising funds to allow Pfeiffer’s family to stay afloat and receive support services during an unbearable period.
The family is still waiting for the results of an autopsy report.
“It’s been hell on Earth, like a tornado has come and ripped through all these families,” Baans told 7NEWS. “It just makes you want to hug your children extra tight.
“If this could happen to William, it could happen to anyone.”
“(William’s mum) Karen will be unable to work for a while as she deals with her grief,” she added in the GoFundMe.
“The grief alone is terrible, but the added stress of financial strain just adds to the pain.”
Karen told 7NEWS that her son “(was) a beautiful boy, the sweetest on the planet. He has left a gaping hole, and we are in a million pieces.”
The loss of the Gleeson College student rocked students and teachers at the Golden Grove school, 7NEWS understands. It has organised a loud sock day in his memory.
Karen told 7NEWS: “He loved wearing crazy bright socks with hamburgers, avocados or things like that.”